THE FIRST LOOK
“What is the ‘first look’?” you may ask. Well, I assure you that it is awesome! Doing a ‘first look’ can be quite beneficial in many aspects, from capturing emotional moments of your significant other’s first time seeing you in your dress to a smoother flow of your wedding day. It’s a brilliant trend in the wedding world that I highly suggest doing.
The first look is when the bride and groom opt to see each other before the ceremony. By doing the first look, we are allowed a lot more time to be creative with our posing and portraiture and more time to follow the bride and groom around as they enjoy some sweet moments together before they say “I do”.
The way I like to set up the first look:
- My assistant photographer and I scout out the prettiest and best lit location around the venue and quickly figure out the logistics.
- We show the groom where to stand (no peeking!) and explain to him how things will go down. He will then patiently await his beautiful bride.
- We then send for the bride to walk/sneak up to her husband to be.
- The bride and groom get to see each other for the first time and fully enjoy the moment!
- We quietly stand back and photograph the sweet moments that unfold right then and there…the hugs,the kisses, the tears, etc. Seeing each other for the first time on your big day is a big moment and can be emotional! We don’t chime in until things calm down.
- Then, we get to spend a good amount of precious time exploring the venue and taking some AMAZING and romantic portraits! It’s seriously the best.
We are usually also able to take all of the wedding party pictures and most of the family group portraits before the ceremony, which allows everyone to arrive at the reception together and get the party started on time! How awesome is that?
I fully endorse doing a ‘first look’, especially if you feel that photography is an important aspect to you. Though, I completely understand that it’s not for everyone and that’s okay too! ;)